12.14.2008

Lego my hip hop

I fear I'm taking things too seriously as I type this post, but the more I thought about it the more I felt like I have to say something about Format Magazine's: 20 Classic Hip Hop Album Covers Recreated in Lego.

What's my problem?

First, let me say, I get it. This list is a nostalgic glance at an iconic toy and iconic hip hop albums. (It also makes me sad that folks don't really pay attention to album art work like they used to. Sigh)

A few examples:





I'm irked by these two recreations, and others on the on the list, because of the choice to paint a grimace on the Lego's face. On the surface it feels like a silly observation, but most of the mcs on the real album covers have neutral faces. When I scroll down to look at a furrowed sharpie brow & down-turned mouth, I start asking questions...

To grimace, or not to grimace?

I'm not a fan of the "mean mug" pose several mcs adopt in photos. I look through XXL or Vibe magazine and spot these men mid-growl, and I'm not sure why. It's happening so much that it's taken on the tone of a modern day minstrel show: shucking, eye-rolling, grill shining included.

So, I'm not liking the fact that when a brother is straight-faced the dang Lego is mugging.

Oh, and there are no black Legos, huh?

No comments: